Archives for Food and consumer products - Page 75

Melissa Wins!

I’m really glad Melissa d’Arabian won The Next Food Network Star competition, persevering in last night’s finale.  This show is one of the few reality shows I can stomach, and I had a bit of a vested interest as someone ...

There’s a Place! M Café de Chaya

Starting today, we will have a There’s a Place! segment, featuring reviews of restaurants and cafés that are—or are working on—using organic or local ingredients, as well as incorporating sustainable business practices. Recently I spent the day with Ara as he ...

Holy Croc-a-mole!

Let’s face it:  95% of us have at least one pair of Crocs or at one point we were dying to have a pair.  The other 5% of us are liars. Crocs were all the rage just a few years ago. ...

Johnny BeBarter

Last night, we continued through our DVD queue by watching Johnny Belinda, a 1948 movie for which Jane Wyman won an Academy Award.  Wyman plays a young deaf and dumb (dated movie, eh?) woman who finds a doctor that brings ...

The Constant Gardener

Three months ago I planted a garden and the results have been impressive. We’re inundated by tomatoes, which is hardly a bad thing. The yellow boys have been awesome, and of course the cherry and yellow pear tomatoes just explode ...

General Hospital

I don’t think we’ll see organic food on flights anytime soon.  Well, of course we don’t see food on flights period.  But if you’re in Northern California and happen to get sick, you may feel better about having a Kaiser ...

No more tears!

Our road to energy independence will involve small, incremental, and localized steps.  One step I’d like to see turned into leaps is for homes and businesses to create their own energy, and even contribute to their neighbors and local grid—it ...

Hi Honey!

One curious trend about the growing awareness of food is where change is occurring.  New Yorkers are gardening, Texas has revamped its school lunch menus, and Florida is putting some sting in its honey:  it’s the first state to require ...

Food NotWork

I’ve commented before that as a society, we’ve become disconnected from our food.  Over-processed and over-packaged snacks and meals are part of the problem.  But I also think that there is another culprit:  Food Network.     Cooking shows used to be relegated ...
1 73 74 75 76 77